Wednesday, April 9, 2014

A favorite meal


The other day, I was craving fried potatoes with crumbled feta and dried oregano. So I made just that.






I peeled a couple of large potatoes I found hiding in my vegetable basket among some onions and garlic heads, I cut them into long strips and fried them in olive oil.

I dropped them in a large bowl, added some good sea salt and a couple pinches of dried oregano that I had brought back with me from Euvoia last October, and tossed them.






I divided them between two plates, I took a piece of feta from the fridge and crumbled it on top, adding another pinch of oregano.

On the side, a bowlful of boiled kale left-over from the day before, dressed with olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice.

We ate our meal as the warm rays of the sun were coming through the window.











Greek Fried Potatoes with Crumbled Feta and Dried Oregano

This has been one of my favorite meals ever since I can remember myself. The side of boiled greens (kale, Greek wild greens like zohous or vlita , spinach, chard) is essential.






Ingredients
Floury potatoes
Olive oil (or sunflower oil), for frying
Feta
Greek dried oregano

Boiled greens with olive oil and lemon juice, to accompany the potatoes

Preparation
Peel the potatoes and cut them into strips.
Add oil in a large, deep pan (fill it halfway up) or in a deep fat fryer, heat it to 175°C and add the potatoes. Fry until crisp and lightly browned. It takes about 12 minutes in the deep fat fryer and a little longer in a pan.

Empty the potatoes in a bowl and sprinkle with sea salt and a couple pinches of dried oregano. Toss and serve into plates. Crumble as much feta as you like on top and add another pinch of dried oregano. Serve with the side of boiled greens.



11 comments:

  1. Δεν υπάρχει καλύτερο φαγητό!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Χαίρομαι που είσαι κι εσύ φαν του φαγητού αυτού. Υπάρχει άραγε κανείς που να μην είναι;

      Delete
  2. I don't fry but I bake the potatoes cut in strips and they, I think, better than fried. I normally add a hard cheese from the Azores Island and rosemary but I will definitely try with feta and oregano!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, these fries sound amazing! I am definitely going to have to harvest some of our backyard oregano for exactly this purpose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Αγαπημένο πιάτο απο τότε που με θυμαμαι.
    Μικρη μαλιστα τις πατατες τις ήθελα κομμένες σε ροδέλες!

    http://beautyfollower.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so perfect. I can see why it is a favorite meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So simple and beautiful - glad you satisfied your craving! ~ David

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe I become more “Greek” but I start to put a little bit of feta on eggs, stew etc. Love it! Will be making this soon xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wished you had converted grams of flour to cups, for your Barley bread. Flour varies in weight and it is hard to know what 270g of Barley is in cups.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lela. I never measure anything in cups, only in weight, especially in baking but I will measure the flour and get back to you.

    ReplyDelete